Explore the Caribbean islands
Explore the Caribbean islands or West Indies, an extensive archipelago in the far west of the Atlantic Ocean, mostly strung between North and South America. They’ve long been known as a resort vacation destination for honeymooners and retirees, but a small movement toward eco-tourism and backpacking has started to open up the Caribbean to more independent travel. With year-round good weather (with the occasional but sometimes serious exception of hurricane season in the late summer and early fall), promotional air fares from Europe and North America, and hundreds of islands to explore, the Caribbean offers something for almost everyone.
The islands have known many historic battles and more than a few pirate stories.
They are sometimes referred to as the West Indies. Christopher Columbus thought he had reached the Indies (Asia) on his voyage to find another route there. Instead he had reached the Caribbean. The Caribbean was named the West Indies to account for Columbus’ mistake.
- Dominican Republic,
- Puerto Rico
- Cayman Islands,
- The Bahamas
- Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Havana — world-famous capital of Cuba,
- Kingston — capital of Jamaica
- Nassau — capital city of The Bahamas
- Port-au-Prince — capital of Haiti
- Port of Spain — capital of Trinidad and Tobago
- San Juan — capital of Puerto Rico
- Santiago de Cuba — Cuba’s second largest city
- Santo Domingo — capital of of the Dominican Republic and largest city in the caribbean
- Willemstad — capital and largest city of the Netherlands Antilles, Curacao
- Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park
- Citadelle Henri Christophe and Palais Sans Souci
- Gran Parque Natural Topes de Collantes
- Jardines del Rey
- Maracas National Park
- Reserva de la Biosfera Sierra del Rosario
- La Fortaleza and San Juan National Historic Site